Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Lockdown Wine #1 - Sangue di Giuda, Croatina Grape

Given the interruption to the regular activities of the UWS, I thought I'd revert to my story of the Wine Century.
I've done the 100 – and have a very nice certificate, and have gone past the 200 now..I have sort of stopped, but if something comes up. Well. Why not? .
So, I have a number of bottles of wine of obscure grape varieties which need drinking. This is one of them. I will be posting weekly on this until I run out.....
I bought this for the Croatina grape, but as an added bonus it has some Uva Rara in there. Nope, I've not heard of either before.


The Wine: Sangue di Giuda 2017, Bruno Verdi.
Region: Pavese, North East Lombardy - City of Pavia
Grapes: Croatina, Barbera, Uva Rara

The interesting thing about this wine is that it is a sweet red wine, low in alcohol at 8.5%, lightly sparkling. Quite like Lambrusco.
I've actually been putting off opening this bottle, as in Sweet Red Wine - really?
 But, it is really nice! Very deep red, light but powerful at the same time, and not that sweet.
The website says:
Intense ruby red with violet tinges, it has a large and complex nose rich in fruity olfactory sensations with a clear memory of typical aromas of wine at a young age. Sweet, slightly moved, fruity, soft, slightly tannic, long, with a very pleasant persistence. Try it with salami or young cacciatorino, fruit tart, homemade donut.
 You will not see it in the supermarket - but it is not too expensive online at <£10 from various sources.
I bought it from Turton Wines,
https://www.turtonwines.co.uk/products/bruno-verdi-sangue-di-giuda-paradiso?_pos=1&_sid=14d455724&_ss=r


Also available from other suppliers

No comments:

Post a Comment